It's that time of year again!!! Time for Vacation Bible School at Ogden Baptist Church. Of all the ministries that take place within the church each year this is one of my favorites, and I would argue one of the most important. Vacation Bible School is so much more than just the consuming of koolaid, playing games, and singing some songs. It is an opportunity we get annually to fulfill the calling of Christ, "to let the little children come to him." I want to briefly look at 3 ways Vacation Bible School lets us do this:
- It's an opportunity for us to make lasting memories in the lives of children.
- I have heard people say before why would you spend so much time, energy, and money on one week of the year. It is for exactly this reason. That, one week, if done right gives us the opportunity to make lasting memories in the lives of children. It's why I have always been a huge fan of going all out with VBS decorations, providing meals, and even picking kids up and providing transportation to and from VBS. Because the more excitement we can help children experience the more opportunities we have to point them to the God who gives us all these good things. I still remember Vacation Bible School from when I was a kid and how I looked forward to it each night. We now have an opportunity to provide those same experiences to the next generation of young people
- It is an opportunity for us to put the needs of others ahead of our own.
- Please hear my heart on this. I believe the Bible makes it abundantly clear that one of the key elements of the Christian life is the ability to put others needs above our own preferences or comforts.
- Philippians 2:3- In humility value others above yourself
- Matthew 20:16- So the last will be first and the first will be last.
- Romans 12:10- Love one another with brotherly affection, outdo one another in showing honor
- During the week of VBS you may find that things are a little different. It may be that Sunday school classrooms have been decorated or rearranged. It may be that there are more kids running around than normal. But in all these things we have the chance to model the love of Christ.
- It is an opportunity to engage the lives of children with the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
- This of course is our ultimate goal. We want to see children and their families fall in love with Jesus. We want the name of Jesus to be made beautiful throughout our city and our world. Please be in prayer. Pray for our teachers as each night they have the opportunity to speak about Christ to the children. Pray for our workers as they serve others faithfully and selflessly throughout the week. Pray for our leaders as they plan and coordinate all the details for the week. Pray for the children that God will bring our way and that the truth of the gospel will impact their hearts and transform lives. Ultimately we pray that God will be glorified in all we do.
I hope you all are as excited as I am. I can't wait to see all that God is going to do. God Bless you all.
- Pastor Stephen
0 Comments on this post: